Re: how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 21:48:06 -0500
Lamar Owen <lowen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But just suppose the OP had ready access to free or nearly free DVDs and free
> or nearly free labor?  Is it practical then?

Not really.  You still have the issue of data corruption (which will increase
immensely as the number of DVD's involved rises), not to mention other issues
like loss or damage to disks (again, increasing with the number of DVD's
involved) and machine wear-and-tear.  I doubt too many consumer-grade DVD
burners are designed to burn 125 DVD's one right after the other without a
break, on a regular and ongoing basis.  And again, that will increase the risk
of data corruption.

So no, I don't believe that method of backing up a large quantity of data is
practical, regardless of the price of media or labour.