Re: total frustration with sound in Fedora 8

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 09:40 -0500, Mark C. Allman wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 21:09 +1100, Danny Yee wrote:
> > I must have wasted three or four hours reading various web pages about
> > Fedora 8 sound problems and trying various fixes -- I keep finding
> > "solutions" that work for some applications but not others, or work
> > for a while and then stop working for no obvious reason.
> >
> > * I can't use totem or rhythmbox as they crash, killing firefox and
> >   starting gnome-screensaver (and eventually killing by X session)
> >   [I'm not using gnome or kde]
> > * I've managed to get kaffeine to work, but it never keeps on working
> >
> > Things I've tried:
> > * making sure avahi-daemon and ConsoleKit are running (this was my first
> >   "aha, that's solved it", but now restarting these does nothing)
> > * running kaffeine as root (I eventually settled on that as a "good
> >   enough" solution, but now that doesn't work)
> > * changing files like /etc/security/console.perms.d/60-sound.perms
> >   following various arcane instructions on web pages
> >   (this never seemed to do anything)
> > * restarting pulseaudio by hand (again following instructions)
> > 	/usr/bin/pulseaudio -k
> > 	rm /tmp/pulse-$USER/pid
> > 	/usr/bin/pulseaudio -D
> >   (this never seemed to do anything useful either)
> > * removing and/or reinstalling packages such as alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
> >   (either no effect or toggles the YouTube versus CD functionality)
> > * extensive Google searches and perusal of the suggestions they find
> >
> > Current situation: sound works in e.g. YouTube but I can't play audio CDs
> > -- kaffeine crashes, and totem and rhythmbox crash even worse (taking
> >    firefox with them)
> >
> > If I actually used sound in any serious way I'd have gone back
> > to Fedora 7 or switched to another distribution weeks ago.  As it
> > is it's annoying the hell out of me because I'm reading a book on
> > psychoacoustics and I want to listen to the accompanying audio CD.
> >
> > Yes, I should file something in bugzilla, but I don't even know which
> > package needs fixing.
> >
> > Danny.
> >   ---------------------------------------------------------
> >   http://dannyreviews.com/ - over nine hundred book reviews
> >   http://danny.oz.au/ - civil liberties, travel tales, blog
> >   ---------------------------------------------------------
> >
> Same here.  I was listening to the Shuttle countdown yesterday and it
> suddenly quit playing.  No error messages, just no sound!  The NASA TV
> page launched the RealAudio plugin.  It worked for awhile, then nothing.
> It's not that it quit--it's that there's no feedback to try to resolve
> the problem!
>
> Alsa keeps telling me that there are no sound cards detected.  No other
> error messages.  I see cards under /proc/asound, and it all looks like
> there's something there:
>     [mcallman@prez BusinessMsg]$ ls /proc/asound
>     card0 cards devices hwdep Intel modules oss pcm seq timers version
>     [mcallman@prez BusinessMsg]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
> [...]
I have essentially the same behavior except the card is numbered 1 not
0.
I get:
 0 [CS4236B        ]: CS4236B - CS4236B
                      CS4236B at 0x534, irq 5, dma 1&3to do.

I have not a clue what to do. Any suggestions out there?

One person's error is another person's data.