Re: USB external hard drive disconnecting

Rick Stevens wrote:

If it's plugged into a USB hub, check that as well.

I've had this problem with some USB hubs - I only plug usb disks directly into a usb port on the PC - it seems for whatever reasons some hubs just don't work well with USB hard drives. They usually work OK with memory sticks - but hard drives (including iPods) - some hubs, including powered hubs, have a problem - even if drive has its own power supply.