Re: argh -- can't get wireless in someone else's house

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 03:21:44PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i've never had this much trouble before.  weird.  i'll go at it
> again on the weekend.  thanks.

FWIW, I never use system-config-network.  Why are you not using
NetworkManager?  It has a lot more curb appeal to impress your Windows
friends... :-)

Anyway, s-c-n still doesn't seem to handle mac80211 drivers quite
right.  I think there is a problem with how it tries to determine
if the link is "up" (which in this case should be when there is
an association).  FWIW, I can't get s-c-n to work at all on my
simple WEP network, but NM and manual configuration work first time,
everytime...YMMV.

I would suggest not using s-c-n at all.  If NM doesn't work, then you
should just using the ifconfig/iwconfig/dhclient sequence described
earlier in this thread.

Hth!

John
--