Re: argh -- can't get wireless in someone else's house

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, John W. Linville wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 01:19:29PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> Don't confuse encryption with authentication.
>
> ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/wrt54g_ug.pdf
>
> See page 49 under "Authentication Type".

right, sorry -- i believe from earlier that the windows system had
"open", so that's what i'm trying.

> You might try this sequence:
>
> 	killall dhclient
> 	ifconfig wlan0 up
> 	iwconfig wlan0 key xxxxxxxxxx open # or restricted, if appropriate
> 	iwconfig wlan0 essid XXXXXXX
>
> Then check the output of "iwconfig wlan0", do you get an entry for
> "Access Point"?  If not, try that last command another time or two.
> If you still get no association, then try "modprobe -r b43 ; modprobe
> b43" and repeat.
>
> If you finally get an association, then try:
>
> 	dhclient wlan0
>
> If that doesn't help, I don't know what to suggest.  You might try to
> capture some wireless traffic during an association using wireshark
> and open a bugzilla.

tried it all ... nothing.  the interface can certainly *see* the WAP
using "iwlist wlan0 scan".

# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wmaster0  no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"XXXXXXX"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Tx-Power=27 dBm
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
          Encryption key:xxxx-xxxx-xx
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

(note that, since i used iwconfig to set the key, now it's printing it
as the actual 10 digit key, as opposed to that weird ASCII format.
hmmmmm ....)

  i've never had this much trouble before.  weird.  i'll go at it
again on the weekend.  thanks.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA