Re: USB device file names changed? /dev/ttyUSB* now /dev/usbdev*

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Derek Schuurman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A recent update for Fedora 8 seems to have changed some of the USB device file
> naming conventions. I discovered this when my custom udev rule for my PDA
> device no longer worked properly when the rule was based on linking to
> ttyUSB*.  It seems that the familiar /dev/ttyUSB* device filename now has
> changed to several /dev/usbdev* files.  Can anyone confirm that this is now
> the case?

coincidentally, just yesterday, i connected my laptop to an ARM
embedded system thru its serial port and, since my laptop doesn't have
a serial port, i used a USB -based targus port replicator and, upon
connection, the new serial port on the laptop showed up as
/dev/ttyUSB0 and that's what i used to configure minicom.

so it *appears* that the /dev/ttyUSB* naming convention still works.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca