Re: FC 8 install and lost add/remove software app

TNWestTex wrote:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f8/en_US/

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/

Always helps to do your homework.   The install screens could be a lot
clearer that to keep other os on your system you need to select the custom
install; however, the options are all there.  Plus a quick search of the
list archives will provide a lot of advice.  I don't like the updater
particularly the penchant for doing updates without asking.  I prefer kde
too.  So you can get the kde install DVD.  Since you ahve a working system,
you are beyond that.  From a console window, yum will install everything you
desire and kyum will let you select the updates you really would rather not
have.

Robert McBroom

Yes - I read the first document end to end for 2 days prior to even loading the FC 8 DVD in the DVD drive. It gives general guidance and is notably incorrect in several places. I relied on that document to try and understand the installation process before I started and the details of the installation process were not explained. It is pretty good on explaining what options are available, but then totally abandons the user in explaining anything about the options. I knew I had to do a custom install and did so. That prevented the FC 8 installation from totally wiping my Windows Vista disk which it wanted to do and the Kubuntu disk which it also wanted to totally wipe. If I had left the installation to do what it suggested I would currently have a totally unusable computer and the only solution would have been to go back to the store and have them re-image the Vista disk. Not a good scenario. As it was I had to scramble to restore the ability to boot both Kubuntu and Vista. If I hadn't been very familiar with the grub directory before hand, I doubt that I would have been able to restore Vista and Kubuntu to bootability. Without Kubuntu, I wouldn't be able to read or post to this list. FC 8 installation still nukked the Windows XP boot files on the same disk as FC 8 was installed on. Tried to recover the XP boot this morning, but not able to do so. Apparently FC 8 installation wiped one or more of the XP boot files. Not good!!

Now that you know that I did my homework and even tried to solicit advice on this list prior to the install, do you have any further advice on two topics:

  1. getting back the ability to install s/w on FC 8 and any method of finding out what s/w may have been removed when the "add/remove software" GUI was removed from the system?

  2. Any advice in restoring XP booting ability??
Any advice on those two points - especially the first right now?

Thanks,
Terry