Re: FC 8 install and lost add/remove software app

TNWestTex wrote:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f8/en_US/

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/

Always helps to do your homework.   The install screens could be a lot
clearer that to keep other os on your system you need to select the custom
install; however, the options are all there.  Plus a quick search of the
list archives will provide a lot of advice.  I don't like the updater
particularly the penchant for doing updates without asking.  I prefer kde
too.  So you can get the kde install DVD.  Since you ahve a working system,
you are beyond that.  From a console window, yum will install everything you
desire and kyum will let you select the updates you really would rather not
have.

Robert McBroom
Found the problem with add/remove software - pirut had been deleted somehow. After doing a lot searches through the doc and on-line, it sounded like that might be the problem.

used the yum command line to install as root and that restored the "add/remove software" app.

Then used pirut to download KDE and a load of apps.

KDE now running. Better.

One problem with KDE - Under gnome the other hard disks are displayed on the desktop and I can click to mount and browse in the file manager. KDE doesn't seem to have anything similar. IS there something similar for mounting and browsing the other hard disks??