Re: Good bye

Kelly Miller wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:
That should be the upstream author's designation, shouldn't it? Does the mozilla group still even admit that firefox 1.5 exists? What about the beta dovecot that was shipped in RHEL4 and never updated to the release version? Complaints about the old bugs kept showing up in the upstream mailing list years after the stable release, confusing everyone.
Wait, wait, wait. You were complaining about Fedora being too far ahead and being unstable, and now you're knocking RHEL for being too far behind? What exactly do you want?

I'm starting to think that the guys who said you simply want a distro custom-tailored to your exact specs are right. What would satisfy you, a distro with all the latest versions that doesn't have any bugs in it or something?

If that's really what he wants, he can have it mow:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

;)

I've actually gone through the project a couple time (first time was actually on a PPC - using Yellow Dog as the initial OS) - I probably should again at some point, it's a great learning (and re-learning) experience, though it is too time consuming to keep it up to patch level for normal use for any length of time.

If he really wants RHEL/CentOS with FireFox/Thunderbird 2 - I'll give a shameless plug:

http://www.pennywasted.info/centos/yjl.php

I have a small repo dedicated just for FireFox/Thunderbird updates to CentOS 5.x (FireFox and Thunderbird are rebuilds of F8 src.rpm's - it also has rebuilds of the two RHEL/CentOS rpm's that break due to gecko-libs change)

Please note - FireFox 2 is a little wonky on my low memory machines (384 MB laptop and 512MB desktop) it crashes a lot - the binary tarball release from Mozilla is much more stable (but because it is built against a different libstdc++ than icedtea, the icedtea java plugin doesn't load in their release)

On my 2GB x86_64 machine I haven't experienced crashing. Me thinks the crashing on the low memory x86 is caused by a memory leak that my higher mem machine can handle better, but I haven't fully investigated.

Thunderbird 2 works great on low mem machines - other than it can't read local system mail. But that's what alpine in EPEL is for.