Re: Good bye

Hi,

I prefer the original definition which was effectively 'non-OSS, binary kernel blob and alike ambivalent' -

Which, once you understand the need for those items, translates pretty clearly to user-hostile.

For you, not for me.

You may disagree but many people, and I think Fedora in general, considers this to be good for the user, in the long run.

Yes, I do disagree as I do in other cases where religious beliefs are used to justify hostile actions as being 'good' for others. My own belief is that the availability of an 'affordable' system (both in price and effort to maintain) is much more important than 'free with restrictions', and 'affordable' won't happen unless all parties cooperate.

Religion has nothing to do with this, please don't muddy the waters with that can-o-worms.

What you believe is fine, I have some sympathy for your view point. My point is Fedora has placed itself at a particular niche in the linux distro landscape that doesn't match your wishes. I applaud Fedora for the semi-radical stance they take and believe we need a distro out there like that. As much as I believe we need a distro like ubuntu.

Ubuntu takes a different view point on what is good for the user, which seems to match yours better. I personally think we need both view points, and trying to suggest Fedora should become more like Ubuntu is a bad idea which will never happen.

I guess whether you think it's good or bad depends on whether you'd like more or fewer people to learn RH style administration vs. the debian/ubuntu style. I have enough time invested in learning RH style that I'd prefer not to start over.

For me that is a non issue. I recently did the switch on one of my home machines and really, once you get over the deb v rpm, apt v yum or sudo v root differences, the differences are really cosmetic. IMHO anyone who knows there way around one distro will not take long to find there way around the other.

Chris