Re: installing f8/hang at 'loading ata_piix' PROGRESS but now 'ata1.00 exception .... frozen'

John Minson wrote:
by 'installer' do you mean the boot parms ?

Yes.

Mark Knoop wrote:
John Minson wrote:

after fighting with the 'loading ata_piix driver' issue I managed to get fc8 installed via a usb dvd drive . the install went fine but now when I boot off the hd (sata) I eventually get

ata1.00 exception emask 0x0 sactt serr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen

it then displays 'loading udev' and hangs

once again this problem (or some variant there of) has been reported lots but no clear indication of what to do.
I keep seeing references to the 'libpata' module having issues

I had similar issues (what is your hardware?) which I finally solved by
telling the installer which modules to load instead of relying on the
probe. I also have to use the 'noirqdebug' because of irq problems with
my motherboard bios.

Try appending the following to your install line:

module=ata_piix module=pata_jmicron module=ata_generic noirqdebug

and:

noirqdebug

to the kernel line in grub.

--