installing f8/hang at 'loading ata_piix'

Trying to install f8 on intel core 2 duo/sata hdd/dvd writer/shuttle xpc .
The problem with the install 'hanging' at the 'loading ata_piix driver' seems to be commonly reported but has several variants . My situation is of the form

1) install 'stalls' at 'loading ata_piix driver' for a few minutes
2) install eventually asks from whence you want to install
3) seems the dvd drive we booted from is now 'lost'

Is there any info about what is causing this ? Is a bug or a feature ? Will it be addressed (perhaps it has been)? I have seen some posts about various boot options helping the situation but nothing has worked for me yet.

My next move is to boot from usb dvd and try installing .
After that I come to installing from the network.

Any help would be appreciated

begin:vcard
tel;work:843-218-6521
version:2.1