Conclusion of: Firefox, mutt, kicker, konsole crash after FC8 update

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 10:50:18 AM -0500, Todd Denniston
(Todd.Denniston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> M. Fioretti wrote, On 01/18/2008 09:55 AM:
>> About the disk, what would the best way to see if it's not working
>> properly anymore?
>
> If you want to keep the file system... and it is ext[23] with
> internal journal: e2fsck -fy -k -c -c -v device

Thanks to Todd and all the others who gave feedback both on list and
privately. I didn't answer earlier because eventually I decided to
reinstall from scratch, and after that reconfiguring everything as it
was before and catching up with work took a while. Right after install
I ran one huge "yum update" and things look good now.

I have written down all the tips you suggested, hoping of course to
never have to use them :-)

One thing I have definitely learned, and that I suggest be included in
the official docs is "since Fedora is a test-bed, bleeding edge distro
and all that...backup EVERYTHING before EVERY update, no matter how
small or harmless it looks. Sure it's a standard practice, but with
Fedora (due to its nature and explicit goals, of course, this is NOT a
critique) it is more needed than with other distros"

Ciao,
	Marco
software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84