Firefox, mutt, kicker, konsole crash after FC8 update

Greetings,

this is on an AMD64 system, FC8 64bit installed with Livna nVidia
rpms, all updates with yum applied without problems until one week
ago, running KDE.

Last wednesday I go t the "updates available" notification on the
desktop and told the system to upgrade. IIRC, there was some problem
to download the evolution rpm, but I didn't bother since I never use
it, so I told it to go ahead and update. Everything seemed to go fine,
but then:

Firefox would crash or freeze
Konqueror wouldn't start
mutt ran in konsole would segmentation fault every 5/6 messages

yesterday morning, when I powered the PC up again, it failed to boot and
left me with the prompt from which to boot and run fsck

I did, and I noticed it reported several "multiply-claimed blocks in inode"
warnings about:

/usr/lib64/libkgroupwarebase.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib/libkabinterfaces.so.1.0.0
/user/lib/64/kde3/libkontact-kaddressbookplugin.so

after running fsck and rebooting, the problems above seemed
disappeared.  Now, after powering up the pc again (KDE session,
again):

X starts, kicker, kmail and konsole crash every time (I'm typing this
 from mutt in an xterm which I started from the "run command" graphic
 utility)

if I start kicker from the xterm I get:

[marco@pc ~]$ QGDict::hashAsciiKey: Invalid null key
kicker: crashHandler called
KCrash: Application 'kicker' crashing...
QGDict::hashAsciiKey: Invalid null key

trying to start  kmail:

> kmail
kmail: relocation error: /usr/lib64/libkleopatra.so.1: symbol _ZN4Kleo18KeySelectionDialogD1Ev, version GLIBCXX_3.4 not defined in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time reference

kate and konqueror, instead, start without problems (though I haven't
done anything with them yet)

Unfortunately, I had no possibility since wednesday to stay at the
computer more than a few minutes every time (if I had had more time
and concentration I would have probably done things differently), and
at this point, given the sequence of events (update partly failed -
forced fsck - another update) I am not sure how to:

- find out _EVERYTHING_ wrong in the system right now (hanging lock or
  tmp files, all corrupted binaries, which rpms should be reinstalled,
  what else).

- what else to report to help you diagnose the problem

- how to fix it! If I were sure only one package is corrupted, I'd
  remove it ignoring warnings and reinstall it right away, but this is
  something more serious. Remove all packages updated since wednesday
  and then run yum update again?!? No, unless I have confirmation it
  makes sense and/or there is no other way

Thank you in advance for any feedback

                 Marco

software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84