Re: Firefox, mutt, kicker, konsole crash after FC8 update

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 10:50 -0500, Todd Denniston wrote:
> Anaconda grump... I have not seen a way to tell anaconda 'check ro or
> rw for badblocks before/while creating my file systems and swap'.

It used to be an option, many years ago.  But because it went away, I
dispensed with using Anaconda to prep the disc.  I switch away to
another terminal just before that point of the install process, and use
fdisk, mkfs, and mkswap, to create my partitions, adding in the command
options (see example below) to check the disc for bad blocks at the same
time.  Then go back to the install routine, and just use the manual
partitioning options to CHOOSE which partitions to use, and don't
reformat anything.

e.g. mkfs.ext3 -c -L seagate200home -v /dev/sdb2
     mkswap -c -L seagate200swap /dev/sdb5

I have several discs, so I write a disc identifier in the label
(seagate200, or some other name) that helps *ME* tell apart the discs on
a system.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.12-52.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

If I wanted a hard time I would have used Windows...