Re: Mouse pointer locking up on A4tech scrollball mouse

Tim:
>> Obvious questions:
>>
>> Does the same problem occur if you use a different mouse?
>> Do you mind using a different mouse?

Nigel Henry:
> I havn't tried a different mouse, that is apart from having replaced it
> recently with a new one of the same make and model, and still get these
> infrequent mouse pointer lockups.

I forgot to mention that I do have one or two A4tech mice, and I have
had other (*) problems with them on some boxes, that I didn't have when
I tried some other USB mice.  In my case it was mice, rather than
trackballs, but the electronics technology is the same, just the
mechanical side of things is upside down.

* Not lock-ups, but mouse pointers that suddenly started racing all over
the screen, and clicking everywhere.  At least one of them was worse on
a PS/2 extension cord than without.  That points the finger at, at
least, three potential reasons:  Knackered PS/2 ports.  Data signal
strength/interference issues.  And poor power to the mouse causing its
encoder chip to act unreliably.

There's another thing to point the finger at:  How Linux handles
keyboards and mice.  When I've had dual-boot boxes, I've been able to
compare Linux with peculiar keyboard and mice behaviour against Windows
with zero such problems, all on the same hardware.

> I can't really try the standard mouse, as there isn't any room for a mouse mat
> in front of my keyboard, but I'll buy a different make of scrollball mouse,
> and see if the problem goes away.

A bit of an expensive test...  You can't borrow something else for a
trial, even if you use it outside of your usual work space?

I do wish keyboard navigation worked better in Linux.  There's any
number of times I would have liked to just click on the keyboard to move
around some GUI, but I'm damned if I could find a hotkey sequence to get
to where I needed to be.

And I'm amazed that there never was a huge demand for touch screen
technology to become widespread (Windows, Linux, whatever).  The mouse
is an ergonomic nightmare, never mind the technical issues.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.