Re: Fedora 8 and Dual Opterons - Seg Fault During Boot

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 10:13 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:

> I saw a suggestion to use ATI's proprietary fglrx driver, but from what
> I can tell, it doesn't support cards 9250 or below. I don't understand
> how going from F7 (which has no problem with the ATI 9200 card) to F8
> could break this.
>
> Rick B.

ATI's web site is not very helpful and I couldn't get even the check.sh
script to run to check the version I have of xorg. (It says I am either
not running in a console (which I am) or don't have the right to do so
(I'm root)). Neither could I get anywhere with the ati install script
(which seems to want to bring up a gui even though I didn't have a gui
working - although I did try from another computer using X).

I tried the generic "vesa" driver and this at least works (but only
gives a 1280x1024 screen).

At least Fedora 8 is running nicely on the 64-bit dual opteron system
(with it's raid drive turned off). I will have to work on getting the
raid drive working. It would have been nice to set everything up at the
beginning but the problem is likely I don't know what I'm doing with the
raid.

Rick B.