Re: old rpms after upgrade

PS = Pete Stieber
I have an x86_64 I have upgraded from Fedora 6 -> 7 -> 8.  I upgrade
using DVDs generated from ISO images provided with each new
distribution.  I'm worried about left over rpms from prior installs that
may eventually cause problems.

$ rpm -qa | grep fc6
enchant-1.3.0-1.fc6
dmidecode-2.7-1.26.1.fc6
keyutils-libs-1.2-2.fc6
mcelog-0.7-1.22.fc6
xorg-x11-filesystem-7.1-2.fc6
libavc1394-0.5.3-1.fc6
keyutils-libs-1.2-2.fc6
keyutils-libs-devel-1.2-2.fc6
gnuchess-5.07-10.fc6
tux-3.2.18-9.fc6

There are others for fc7.

Why does this happen?

What should I do about it?

MS = Michael Schwendt
Isn't this explained in the F8 release notes? It is normal, because
not every package needs to be rebuilt for a new distribution release.
Some are still binary compatible. Some are data packages. Some noarch,
and so on.

Thanks Michael,

I recently did a yum upgrade that updated the kernel, but not the kernel-headers. I started snooping and noticed the old fc* packages and ignorantly thought this might be related to the original problem.

I think I updated when the kernel rpm was on the yum server, but not the kernel-headers package. I'm not sure.

I just did another update and the kernel & kernel headers were properly updated.

Thanks again,
Pete