Fedora 8 and Dual Opterons - Seg Fault During Boot

I have a 64-bit dual opteron system that has run Fedora 3, 4, 5, 6, and
7. I installed Fedora 8 (install not upgrade, default partitions) - no
problems of any kind were reported. When I rebooted to bring up the
system, a seg fault message starts repeating after the boot process has
progressed a short way.

Previously, I had tried running the KDE and Gnome live distributions -
but for some reason, the display was unusable. I put in a Fedora 7 live
dvd and it boots up and displays without any problem. The computer has
an ATI Technologies RV280 (Radeo 9200 SE] display.

Any ideas?

Rick B.