Re: Mouse pointer locking up on A4tech scrollball mouse

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 13:57 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I use these A4tech mice on both machines, but on the machine that I still use
> > FC2 on, the mouse pointer locks up from time to time. Ctrl Alt Backspace
> > won't release the pointer, nor will a reboot, only a complete shutdown. It
> > appears that it's a problem with the mouse, and the power has to be
> > completely removed from it, as in a complete shutdown.
> >
> > This is on an old Gateway 500 machine, and a complete shutdown means just
> > that. No power of any sort on the mobo.
> >
> > Looking at the mouse problem, is there any way to completely disable the ps2
> > port for the mouse, including removing power from the mouse, then re-enable
> > the ps2 mouse port? I can still use the keyboard when this problem occurs.
> >
> > No doubt if I physically unplugged the mouse it would work, but at the same
> > time I risk damaging the mobo due to power spikes, and plugging it back in
> > would create more spikes.
> >
> > Please. No comments about using unsupported versions of Fedora. In many ways
> > IO find that FC2 is better than F8.
> >
> > Any comments on the mouse problem welcome.
> >
> > Nigel.
> >

>     Hi Nigel, you will not have serious sparks with your mouse. You can
> put in and out with no problem. That would be a good test because if a
> total removal of the mouse solved the problem, you need a new mouse. My
> money is on the bad mouse because hardware problems are what freeze the
> screen.
>
> Karl

Nigel,

While you may not have a problem PS/2 ports were most definitely not
designed to be hot-pluggable. They lack even the rudimentary protective
circuits of the venerable RS232 post, although most modern
implementations are fairly robust. I have seen systems locked up doing
this, although I personally haven't seen any permanent damage.

- Brian