Re: Mouse pointer locking up on A4tech scrollball mouse

Nigel Henry wrote:
I use these A4tech mice on both machines, but on the machine that I still use FC2 on, the mouse pointer locks up from time to time. Ctrl Alt Backspace won't release the pointer, nor will a reboot, only a complete shutdown. It appears that it's a problem with the mouse, and the power has to be completely removed from it, as in a complete shutdown.

This is on an old Gateway 500 machine, and a complete shutdown means just that. No power of any sort on the mobo.

Looking at the mouse problem, is there any way to completely disable the ps2 port for the mouse, including removing power from the mouse, then re-enable the ps2 mouse port? I can still use the keyboard when this problem occurs.

No doubt if I physically unplugged the mouse it would work, but at the same time I risk damaging the mobo due to power spikes, and plugging it back in would create more spikes.

Please. No comments about using unsupported versions of Fedora. In many ways IO find that FC2 is better than F8.

Any comments on the mouse problem welcome.

Nigel.

Hi Nigel, you will not have serious sparks with your mouse. You can put in and out with no problem. That would be a good test because if a total removal of the mouse solved the problem, you need a new mouse. My money is on the bad mouse because hardware problems are what freeze the screen.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User