Re: Laptop Display Resolution

Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
     Dear friends,

  I have a Dell Latitude D820 laptop. Today, I changed the screen
resolution to something smaller using
Menu>System>Administration>Display, and I can not change it back. The
display used to be set to generic LCD display and the resolution - I
think - was set to 1680x1050. Now the display is set to generic LCD
panel 1024x768 and the highest resolution available is 1360x768. When
I change the monitor type, it simply says the change will not take
effect until I log out and in again, and it does not allow me to
change the resolution to something higher (even though the monitor
type is set to be a generic LCD with some higher resolution). When I
log out and in, the monitor type is set to what it was before (see
above).

  Web search has not solved the problem. Neither was I able to find
out what monitor I have, nor what might be the problem. Video Card is
nVidia Corporation G72M.

  Any help? Thanks!

     Take care
     Oliver

try manually editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the mode line to include your monitors resoultion. then restart X