Re: xen

On Jan 18, 2008 8:16 AM, John Summerfield <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
John Thompson wrote:
> On 2008-01-18, John Summerfield <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I like to run xen-capable CPUs and this adds to the problems. First,
>> with xen:
>> I like to use a framebuffer console. It's a while since I tried on the
>> Dell so we'll ignore that for the moment.
>
> Out of curiousity, what is the advantage of the xen kernel? I notice it
> was installed when I installed FC8, and it seems to run fine, but why
> exactly would I want to use it?

xen is a tool that enables one to run several virtual computers on one
real computer. For example, I can boot the Xenified kernel for F8 and
the run Windows on that (with newer CPUs).

The grub configuration specifies Xen as the kernel, then has two modules
directives:
title Scientific Linux SL (2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5
        module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen ro
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
        module /initrd-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen.img
        savedefault

I've used my 64-bit F8 system to run a couple of 32-bit Debian systems
for special purposes, and tried some things with Windows.

I have not used VMWare so I cannot comment on its  performance. I did a quick google search on VMWare  vs. Xen  and got a few hits  but most look like opinion pieces.  I am just starting to use virtualization with Fedora and i installed the Xen kernel and wasn't to impressed with the performance of the virtual machine(winXP). At this point I am not sure why it was so sluggish. It could have been something I did or didn't do. I know there is a mailing list for fedora virtualization stuff (that's not the official name) but I haven't found the time to play with it much so please add a grain of salt to my pronouncements. In the coming weeks i will be getting into it alot more and will have more info. If we can keep the thread alive then I will report back here. What has your experience with VMWare been?

-Max