Re: Tiny server?

Timothy Murphy wrote:
max wrote:

But I don't really see the need for a small linux today.
(I tried Damn Small Linux on a small USB stick some time ago,
and wasn't too happy with it.)
It seems to me any new machine allows enough RAM today for anything
I'm likely to do,
and 4GB or even 8GB USB sticks seem cheap enough.

I 'll say it again just cause....

www.freenas.org

its unix not linux but so what.

To repeat myself, too:
The selling point of freenas seems to be that it only needs 32MB.

Small download.

But can one actually get a memory card or hard disk that small?

I think my mate William has some. Maybe 64 Mbyte; they use to be expensive.

What actually is the point of cutting down to that extent?

Leaves free space for other stuff.

Will it save energy?

Probably not.

--