Re: That ole Livna Problem/That ole VLC Problem

Les Mikesell wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

$ wget -c http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm
$ rpm -ivh livna-release-8.rpm
last time i looked, you could do all that in one step:

# rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm
Yeah, see my other reply from two minutes before yours. ;)  There
has been a thread on fedora-devel some time ago where Panu mentioned
that this feature would/might be dropped from RPM. Further, it's a
bad habit of mine to suggest wget/curl plus rpm because with that
combination, a copy of the downloaded package is saved in local dir
and can be reused in error conditions, whereas rpm works with a tmp
file. (not so important for tiny files, though)

true enough.  i actually would never use the above shortcut for
anything but the most minor of downloads and installs.

Or you can just click on it in a browser and let the browser run rpm for you. Unless you just like to type...

And I have been thinking that up to last week, I could get vlc any time I wanted. I am sure things are different now. And I am sure it will get easy again soon.

Seeing as how no one else has a problem, it isn't likely to get easy until you fix whatever you've done wrong. You've posted 2 real errors so far: an rpm version-numbering conflict between parts from freshrpms and livna, and a missing gpg key for livna, either of which could be fixed in minutes. The rest is mostly rambling about nothing in particular. Are you getting some real error when you download or install that livna-release-8.rpm? If so, what is it? After installing, yum should continue past the last error you posted.

   Les I just used it and it worked fine. Thank you!