Re: rdesktop woes

Paul Lemmons wrote:
> Can you share the rdesktop command you are using? Also here is an
> rdesktop command that I use all of the time that works flawlessly for me:

rdesktop -u "Janet Cummings" -g 1024x768 -d JMCPC 192.168.6.102:3389

> rdesktop -Txyznbu1 -nmybox -g1270x950 -a24 -rsound -b -4 xyznbu1
>
> This connect to a box named "xyznbu1". It gives the window a title of
> the same name. Other options determine color depth, protocol and screen
> size.

for me, I'm trying to connect to my wife's computer, specified by IP
address and Remote Desktop port number.  I'm using the user name listed
by the RAIncident file that was created by Windows Remote Desktop.  For
my testing purposes, there is no password, and the computer has its own
domain name (same as its windows network name).

> If your command options differ, try the ones above and see if you have
> any success.
>
> Other things to consider:
>
> The host name must be resolvable. To check this out:
>
> $ host xphost-name
> if it resolves, great. If not try
> $ ping xphost-IP-address
> If you can ping it try adding a line in:
> /etc/hosts
> 192.168.0.100 xphost-name

I'm using the IP address.  Is rdesktop not smart enough to know the
difference?  (I hadn't thought about this before....)

> Where the address above is replaced with the actual address of the
> computer running XP.
>
> If it does not respond to ping, make sure you have the right address and
> get ping working before you do anything further.
>
> Then try the host and ping using the name. If both are successful, then
> try the rdesktop command again.

Like I said, I can connect from windows running in VMWare on the same
computer.  The network is fine.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx