Re: rdesktop woes

Jim van Wel wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Network acl's stands for access control list. Meaning firewall issues in
> your network / network based firewalls. Because your connection is getting
> closed when you are trying to connect, it looks like some program is just
> blocking it / or your network is just not beeing nice. Easy thing to test
> is to get yourself a cross cable, connect directly to that system with
> windows, and test is out, because you know for sure it's then not your
> network, but somewhere in your software configuration.

OK, let's simplify the problem a bit.  I have a Linux laptop that I am
trying to connect to a Windows XP machine on the same subnet in my home
network.  It experiences the same problem as I've described.  Other XP
machine on the same subnet can connect with Remote Desktop under XP.
Furthermore, the laptop has an XP running inside of VMWare which can
also connect to other XP machines using Remore Desktop without a
problem.  This tells me tha the proper network ports are open, *OR*
rdesktop does not use the same ports as Windows Remote Desktop does.

This is my dilemma.  Why does Windows->Windows work, but not
Linux->Windows.  Does Remote Desktop require a back port that is not
open in rdesktop?  I've seen many different posting from people who say
"it just works for me".  But it doesn't just work for me, not on 3
different machines running 3 different versions of Fedora.

Then, again, yesterday I was ready to say that it didn't even work
Windows->Windows until I physically copied the RAIncident file to the
connecting machine and opened it by file association....

> Greetings,
> Jim.

Can we please keep this conversation "on list"?   Thanks.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx