Re: Updates

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 12:02 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > and by the way, feel free to help out Karl with his conflicts. I'm
> > heading to bed
> >
> OK....
>
> As noted in an earlier message, I managed to recreate what I believe is
> Karl's original problem.  In doing so I've rediscovered what others are
> probably fully aware of, but I am not for the simple reason that I don't
> use either the freshrpms or livna repos...
>
> Simply put, (feel free to respond with "I told you so") both repos
> contain vlc, x264 and other packages.  These repos are mutually
> exclusive.  Unless you are interested in inflicting pain on yourself do
> not, at any time, enable both.  And never, ever....unless you know what
> you are doing use more than one of these on your installed system.  Pick
> one...and stay with it.
>
> So, Karl, unless you really know what you've done (as in kept detailed
> notes) you may best be served by starting over again and picking ONE of
> these repos and using it and only it.  As you've stated, you're not
> smart enough to deal with the complexities that are introduced by using
> multiple 3rd party repos.
----
OK, I already said, I told you so but I am not one to miss another
opportunity to do so.

As you surely know (Ed), it is simple enough to use yum to remove
packages such as say vlc that came from freshrpms and then re-add them
from livna or vice versa and it really doesn't require a clean
re-install to fix this mess. I presume the suggestion stems from your
reluctance to work through that with Karl which is completely
understandable.

Craig