Re: Updates

Ron Siven wrote:

    Simply put, (feel free to respond with "I told you so") both repos
    contain vlc, x264 and other packages.  These repos are mutually
    exclusive.  Unless you are interested in inflicting pain on
    yourself do
    not, at any time, enable both.  And never, ever....unless you know
    what
    you are doing use more than one of these on your installed system.
     Pick
    one...and stay with it.

    So, Karl, unless you really know what you've done (as in kept detailed
    notes) you may best be served by starting over again and picking
    ONE of
    these repos and using it and only it.  As you've stated, you're not
    smart enough to deal with the complexities that are introduced by
    using
    multiple 3rd party repos.

Question: Would you still deem it unacceptable to have both of these repos enabled even if one were using the yum-priorities plugin?

It would totally depend on who "one" is.  :-)

Does "one" have the ability and knowledge to understand how to configure the plugin? Does "one" know what happens if they set the priority to 4 (for example) for multiple 3rd party repos?

I have no experience with the plugin. However, I suspect it is useful for experienced users and dangerous for the inexperienced.

--
My mind is making ashtrays in Dayton....