Re: Updates

Craig White wrote:
On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 09:12 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
[root@localhost ~]# yum install vlc
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies

The yum is not looking for a repo to get this mess. How can this be? I have removed all livna repos but it does not even use them.

All of the vlc rpm's are in the livna repos. So, if you have removed/disable livna then you will not get vlc.
----
I wouldn't argue with you except that it seems clear that the x264
package he has installed that is acting as a block to things wasn't from
Livna.
----
I was only responding to what appears to be yum not finding vlc in whatever repos are enabled. I think he said he disabled livna...but honestly can't be certain that is what he was saying.

I wouldn't have a clue to whatever else is wrong with his system since I feel he types many more commands than he displays here on the list.

I think I would be equally successful at turning my system into a steaming pile of ICs if I were to give my wife root access, taught her a few commands and then told her to configure the system to show DVDs from the US. And, by the way, the situation would not be much different with Windows...except in the case of Linux I'd have a very good chance of reversing the damage. :-)
For what ever reason, this mailing list seems to be failing in its attempts to help you. Have you thought about dropping in on your local high school to see if they have a computer club? You may find someone there that is willing to help with "hands on" help. I think that is better suited to you than "long distance learning".
----
what? and miss his charming repartee?

I would hope that going through some hands on training from someone sitting next to him would better prepare him to make use of a mailing list such as this one. I get the feeling that it indeed would be better for him in the long run and would certainly contribute to the quality of the posts and the Fedora experience. It couldn't hurt.

--
Illusion is the first of all pleasures. -- Voltaire