Re: LDAP be killing me. I need a good step by step

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 10:40 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 11:15 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Craig White wrote:
> >
> > > His confusion is very common...I admit that I too was confused by that
> > > very notion when I first started mucking with LDAP. One would think that
> > > if you use say OpenOffice to save say Test.DOC that Microsoft Word
> > > should be able to open that file [1]. Likewise, since LDIF is the world
> > > of LDAP, shouldn't one expect that an LDIF file exported by Kontact be
> > > usable with openldap?
> >
> > Is there some reason that there isn't a standard schema shipped with the
> > server that supplies what the clients in the distribution expect?
> ----
> If I understand your term 'clients' to mean an address book client like
> Kontact, I would venture to guess that Kontact like Evolution and all
> other address book clients each has their own schema. If you are
> decrying that all of the various address book clients all have differing
> notions about schema's, then you should take that up with them.
>
> Most, if not all LDAP implementations include an inetOrgPerson schema
> that is consistent because this is part of an RFC. Each of the address
> book clients that I have looked at, use attributes that go beyond the
> inetOrgPerson schema and that is what is really being discussed.
>
> Now if you are referring to something other than address book 'clients',
> then you will have to be more specific.

My own pre-conceived notion was this. I use Kaddressbook for our 1,500
contacts. I use Evolution for my pop-email account with gmail and am
interested in getting everything talking to each other and my Windows
using boss. I send him the addressbook.csv master file, then he tells me
that he's added shit to it, and it all goes to hell. I have not been
able to just import his edited copy without a ton of duplicates.

So, hosting an ldap server, in my mind, would allow him to just add to
the addressbook hosted here. Am I far off base in my expectations?? NOW
he wants a comma delimited file of just the email addresses, so he can
hit return and send one massive email spew to everyone on the list.

Back when I had a list like that and in /etc/aliases I could just note
the group to the file name and sendmail pounded out the emails. We're
talking about 8 years ago. Guess how much I remember? <grins>

So, all personal data in kaddressbook, I might handle the group emails
from Evolution or not, or crank up sendmail or procmail to handle the
mass mailings if I can coax out the email addresses, OR learn something
new that I don't know. I took some time off away from Linux and the gap
in what I knew then and what is there now is pretty significant. Thanks
for your patience. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar