Re: LDAP be killing me. I need a good step by step

Brian Millett wrote:

> I have a file of names, phone numbers, etc. that has the following format
> that is used at my work:
> Name|Email|Ext.|Home #|Cellular #|Pager|Title
>
> sample data:
>
> Baker, Steve B.|sbb|15|314-215-4141|314-591-8181|| Director of Technology
> Bowland, Chris|cyb|33|314-835-1216||314-663-3132|Java Developer
>

> I wrote a perl script to parse this and put it into a valid ldif format:

Thanks for your script, which I shall study.

But one problem with setting up an address book in this way
is that there seems to be no standard LDAP format for addresses,
and an email client probably will not understand a particular format.

For example, I use kmail, which claims to understand LDAP.
But if you export your kmail (or kaddressbook) list in LDIF format
it is more of less useless for putting on an openldap server.

As far as I can see, the only reasonably general format for this is vCard
(which is more or less what kmail uses)
but there doesn't seem to be any standard way
of translating vCard to LDAP (or LDIF) format.

It's amazing to me that there is not a standard way
of putting an address book on an openldap server
which can be understood by all email clients
since this seems to be the major use of openldap.

But I am far from expert in this subject;
perhaps I have misunderstood the situation?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366