Re: VNC from Windows machine to Fedora box

--- Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 10:12:56 -0700
> Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Thanks, Wolfe. Will she need to install anything locally on her
> > > Winbox, or does rdestop support the builtin MS desktop sharing
> > > protocol? I'm a bit unable to google at the moment, but as soon as I
> > > get home I'll look deeper into it.
> > ----
> > WinXP Professional has Remote Desktop service, WinXP Home does not. I
> > presume a similar arrangement for Vista but haven't seen enough of Vista
> > to know.
>
> I'm pretty sure you have to enable remote desktop in some obscure
> control panel setting on the XP box to be able to use it. No doubt
> there could be firewall issues as well if there is a firewall on the
> XP box.
>
> --
Yes in the System Properties there is a Remote Tab and you enable RDP here. There are actually two
options. One for Remote Assistance and one for Remote Desktop. The Firewall exception must also be
checked in the Firewall Config (Security Center). There also must be a password configured before
RDP will work. That last part is confusing, you can have an account, even an admin account, in
windows without a password. RDP will not(should not) work unless the account you are using to log
in has a password.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs