Re: Floods of Emails Coming In To /var/spool/mqueue

Les Mikesell wrote:
Robert L Cochran wrote:
I have a server box running Fedora Core 2 which hasn't been updated since sendmail 8.12.11-4.6.

If this machine is internet-exposed, you should replace it immediately with something that is still getting security updates.

I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to do an in-place replacement of the operating system. I can install a second physical hard drive, install Fedora 8 or CentOS 5 on that, and then start migrating data from the FC 2 system to the new one over several days time. I can use grub to switch between the two. Then when all looks ready, switch to the (far newer) system. Probably the biggest problem will be migrating my two mailing lists from mailman 2.1.5-10 to whatever version is out there now.

My favorite is MimeDefang as a front end to clamav and spamassassin. You can reject anything containing viruses or extremely high spam scores and add a header to intermediate spam scores that mailman can detect for moderation. It's a little work to set up, though.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

Bob