Re: Java Solution

Lamar Owen wrote:
On Thursday 03 January 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:
    Dennis your another person who says I know nothing about java. Your
full of self love Dennis. I know more from one day of study than you
will ever know.

Karl, you do realize that you just called a member of the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee stupid, right? See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Development/SteeringCommittee

He's the build and release engineer for the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) project.

He's a member of the Fedora Project Board for crying out loud! ( http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board )

He actually maintains some of the packages that you (and I) use.

Even with your PhD in EE, when it comes to Fedora I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Dennis, one of the many capable Fedora leaders, knows a great deal more about this subject than you.

Up to this point, I've been leaning towards giving you the benefit of the doubt, but this takes the cake. Not again.

By the way, the jedit installation FAQ explicitly says: "To run the installer, do whatever you normally do to run a Java jar archive. If this is your first time, follow these steps:

   1.      Open a terminal or command interpreter window.
2. Change the current directory to the directory in which you have stored the jEdit installer file. 3. Run this command: [full path to java application launcher] -jar jeditXXXinstall.jar"
(FAQ found at http://www.jedit.org/FAQ/installation.html )

NOTE CAREFULLY STEP 3: you have to use the FULL PATH TO THE BINARY. So, instead of the command line you might think:
/usr/bin/java -jar jedit4.3pre12install.jar (which will not work)

with IcedTea, for instance, you run
/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.7.0-icedtea/bin/java -jar jedit4.3pre12install.jar And, guess what: it installs and runs just fine. I just installed it here, perfectly. It didn't work by not giving the full path to the java binary (why, I don't know, but it is something the jedit developers are aware of, since they specifically say to give the full path to the java binary). But I do know that I have a copy of jedit installed right now without a Sun java being installed. Would you like to see the screenshots?

Incidentally, thanks for the pointer to jedit; looks like something I might use.
Something happened in my immediate family yesterday and let me say it is not like me to pick on people like I did. But I was not in sound mind yesterday. Today I say please forgive me Dennis what I said was stupid and not correct. The only thing accurate is that what I learned about java I feel strong about. This again is that with all the java provided in a Work Station load of F8, which I since learned is not very much capability, I had no successful install of jedit. It is nice that others have had success. I can't explain that.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User