Re: Java Solution

Craig White wrote:
On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 15:26 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:
--- Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Karl Larsen wrote:

2. Next the small wimpy java 1.51 which is of no
use to a serious
java user should not be made available to the
user.Instead there
should be dummy /usr/java/default/bin/java file
which will print out
"Java not installed" if you press java in a
Terminal. There needs to
be a link between /etc/alternatives/java to
/usr/java/default/bin/java.
Most "Serious java users" ie corporations are
using either 1.4 (as we
are at work) or 1.5, so stop speaking of
something you know nothing
about. Hardly anyone is using 1.6 commercially
yet. And they're the
people who are "serious users", not people trying
to run applets in
their browsers...

   Why lie about what I KNOW? I tried to install
jedit with the 1.5 on
F8 and it just spit out error messages. Then I bit
the bullet and
installed what Sun Inc said is right and jedit
works SUPER.
That is fact not you GUESS.
You are comparing 1.5 apples to 1.6 oranges.  The
1.5 you tried was not Sun java, and jedit probably works just fine with Sun Java 1.5 as well as the 1.6 you installed.

Know Les, 1.5 apples (one and a half apples)
1.6 oranges (one and six tenths of oranges)
What do apples and oranges have to do with java?

Jun from Sun cannot even be compatible with itself. See article below. Fedora is working with Sun on these and other issues. Please be patient :).
----
the 1.5 that Karl (and thus Les by extension) was the gcj version that
is bundled by Fedora and it's cloudy if not completely disconnected from
the Sun 1.5.x releases and obviously the Sun 1.6 releases. That's what
Les meant by Apples and Oranges (GCJ Java and Sun Java)

The fact remains that Karl is one confused puppy and Les stretches to
make a point that Karl's confusion represents the greater confusion as a
whole which is absurd because Karl represents wrongfulness and confusion
across the board, not just wrt java

I am quite certain that 5 days ago, I suggested that Les be patient but
that hasn't stopped him from trying to score ethereal points, and most
ashamedly, using Karl as proof of how problematic the situation is.

Craig

Craig, I am neither confused or wrong. You are wrong and you actually call me stupid. I want to say it takes one to know one.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User