Re: Will not boot after Disk upgrade from hda to sda

On 2008/01/01 16:40 (GMT) Paul Ward apparently typed:

> I am normally quite good with grub but currently I am struggling with
> a disk upgrade on my brothers PC.

> He has purchased a pci sata card, and added a new 1TB drive.

> I have used dd to copy the boot sector to the new drive, then used
> clonezilla and copied hda1 (/boot) to sda1, and copied hda3 (/) to
> sda3. hda2 is swap and has been recreate as sda2.

> I edited the /boot/grub/menu.lst from

> title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>         initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
> title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=/dev/sda3 rhgb quiet
>         initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img

I wouldn't count on tmpfs knowing the meaning of root=/dev/sda3. Give your
root partition a meaningful label, such as F8root, and put root=LABEL=F8root
in your grub menu. Get rid of rhgb and quiet and maybe you'll see some clues
about the problem in  the startup messages.

> I change the device.map from

> (hd0)     /dev/hda
> (hd0)     /dev/sda

> and edited fstab from

> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> /dev/sda3                /                       ext3    defaults        1 1

> I have checked with e2label that all partitions are correctly named as well.

Again, a more unique partition label would at least be a good idea.

> Is there something else I have missed?

Several kernel versions ago the HD drivers were moved out of the kernels into
modules. Maybe your initrd doesn't have the modules you need for that PCI
SATA device. Maybe the chip on that device is too new to have a driver. What
does lspci -v say about it?
--
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was
with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409