Re: NFS versus the firewall

Amadeus W.M. wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 18:29:52 +1030, Tim wrote:

Tim:
Something has bugged me for ages about trying to use NFS between
machines on the LAN.
Charles Curley:
http://www.charlescurley.com/nfs.html
I'll have a bash at that a bit later, but the question still stands
about what's the point of the NFS checkmark in the firewall
configurator, if it can't actually do the trick?  They might as well
have named it "waste your time."

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I read
messages from the public lists.

The difficulty with nfs is that it uses a few auxiliary rpc services, which by default get started on a random port. These random ports must be open in the firewall, but because they are random, the iptables has no idea what they might be. The cure is to force these services to ALWAYS start on pre-assigned ports, and open these ports in the firewall. To this end, on the nfs server
1) Create a file /etc/sysconfig/nfs with the following contents:

RQUOTAD_PORT=4000
LOCKD_TCPPORT=4001
LOCKD_UDPPORT=4001
MOUNTD_PORT=4002
STATD_PORT=4003

The nfs config file already exists, but it's full of comments. Erase everything and put these lines in, or just edit the appropriate lines in the existing file. You can choose any ports available, not necessarily 4000-4003.

2) Open range 4000-4003 tcp and udp in iptables. This you can do manually, but it can be done from system-config-firewall very easily and intuitively.

3) Open port 111 (portmapper) and 2049 (nfs) as well.

Done.

Now, from any client (which should be running the automounter (autofs) by default), you should be able to
cd /net/nfsserver/exported/partition

I have all this up and running, and it's pretty cool to watch video that resides on my main pc (nfs server) on my big hdtv, via nfs and a wireless laptop that sits on top of my tv.

EXCELLENT! This is the same thing I've been struggling with and you've nailed a solution for me.
This one goes in my log book.

This naturally leads me to the next question. What kind of a more "hands off" solution can be arrived at so the less technically oriented can configure NFS on their network. The randomness of the ports seems to be a gotcha if you want to use a firewall with out customizing it.

Thanks for the solution.

~~R