Re: [Fedora] Seeing input on Securing the Linux system from intrusions and attacks.

Tim wrote:
Craig White:
Actually, anyone who has set up Windows 2003 Server in the last year has
noticed that this shouldn't happen anymore because the firewall is
automatic during initial setup phase and user is clearly aware that
during initial setup phase, this firewall remains until updates are all
installed or the user opts out.

That's hardly an OS for a user.  In this case, it would have been 2000
or XP, most likely.

Let's give Microsoft a little credit (not much, but a little).

Only as being a successful software *pusher*, not for being a good
software creator.

My laptop came with Vista, there was virtually no avoiding it.  Not
unless I wanted to mail order in some computer that I'd never been able
to physically inspect in a shop before purchase.  And that's not
something I'll do with a purchase of that price.

I can see they've smartened up a bit, but only a bit.  Yes, at long
last, you don't have to login as the admin to do some admin tasks.  Just

That's true on XP Professional (I don't use unprofessional, can't say about that) and on Server 2003...

give an admin password at the right moment, just like when we try to use
one of the various system-config- whatever GUIs.  But it doesn't give
you an option to keep that authentication for the next one, you're
forever typing in the password.  Eventually users are going to turn off
the security, in one way or another.

as we did on out Windows 2003 Server course a while back. I really can't imagine anyone typing p@ssw0rd a few hundred times in the course of the course.

Server allows two concurrent logins; presumably one can login as a mere mortal and use RDP to connect as an administrator; I simply connect as an administrator from my Linux box.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait