Re: how to jigdo download a fedora 8 re-spin in one easy step?

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 19:28 +0000, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:
>

> +1 Ya know, it's WORTH a coupla bucks just to not torture myself and buy
> the DVD. One stinkin' bleep or bloop in the process and the DVD is an
> expensive coaster. Plus, my overall mental health takes a serious
> double-gainer-back-flip into a bout of depression and carpet chewing.
>
> What I truly miss from the OLD DAYS was when package manager just asked
> that I insert the CD and it would install packages, long after the
> install took place. The option was to use ftp to grab anything else
> needed and everyone worked as smooth as a monkey's butt. Heck, I'd
> subscribe to update DVD's, if the service wasn't too pricey.
>
> Then I could go back to using the internet as a place to get information
> from. Sure, get security alerts off the net quickly, but all those
> megabytes of updates tying up bandwidth, for a lot of us on modems and
> creeping DSL is a pure headache.

These re-spin isos are only really needed for fresh installs. The only
difference between the original Fedora 8 release DVD(s) and the
FedoraUnity re-spin DVD(s) is the updated packages as of Dec 18, 2007.

For example. If there have been, for your installation, 50 updates
between Official release and 150 updates total you just spent your
bandwidth downloading 100 packages that you don't have installed or use.
Kinda' a Doh!! Homer?  ;-)

This would be handy to carry from machine to machine and save the
downloading of some of the updates for each machine. I say some because
I actually did a plain basic install of the FU 8 re-spin, nothing added,
not custom packges a plain default install and had 27 new updates after
that were not on the re-spin.  :-)

The 'everything' isos are, IMO, a waste of time for Joe User. Again
perhaps handy for the admin with many machines. Joe User has yum and the
fedora.repo points to the 'everything' folder on the server site. So
instead of using bandwidth to download over 9 gigs of packages that most
would never use I think that downloading a package or two, or three,
seems more along the path most should follow. And BTW the 'everything'
isos *don't* contain the updates. They contain the everything packages
as of Nov 15, 2007 when the made it. Fedora 8 was released on Nov 8, 2007.

As for buying pre-made CD'd and DVD's? Many place sell them at a
reasonable price. One place that I have used and had good service from
is Cheapbytes. $5.99 for the Fedora 8 DVD + postage/handling or FedEx.
Mail is $4.99. So for for $11.00 +- you get your DVD, with a nice
professional looking label not pen written or stick on, and don't tie up
your phone line all week.  ;-)
- --

  David