Re: Java problem

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 16:40 -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:

> >> I works if you do it after, I never tried before.

> >> If you use the JPackage none of that is required.  In fact setting
> >> the CLASSPATH is almost never required in any installation.
> >----
> >docbook-XSL for xalan/xerces/fop etc. Otherwise, you have to locate them
> >with each call.
> >
> >Probably others too...
>
> Sorry, I have no idea what that means.
----
that means that executing a java command such as this...

java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process \
  -out some_output_file.html \
  -in some_input_file.xml \
  -xsl /var/www/html/docbook/docbook.xsl \
  -param use.extentions 1

or this...

java \
  -Djavax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory=\
     org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl \
  -Djavax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory=\
     org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl \
  com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet \
  -o myfile.html \
  some_input_file.xml \
  /var/www/html/docbook/docbook.xsl \
  use.extensions=1

only works if the full path to xalan.jar/xerces.jar/saxon.jar are
located in $CLASSPATH environmental variable, otherwise, you have to
spell it out longhand with path within your usage command each time you
invoke it. It is Java's equivalent to the shell $PATH variable.

As you start to amass jar files, it can be really useful to manage them
with a CLASSPATH declaration. I'm presuming that is what most
applications such as a Tomcat or Alfreso are going to do (I gather they
build it on the fly based upon jar files in particular directories).

Craig