Re: Java problem

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 17:42 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

> >> It's too bad that RedHat and Sun can't agree on where java should live.
> >>    For earlier versions of fedora, jpackage.org had a way to fix this
> >> breakage, but they seem to have stopped at FC6.
> > ----
> > patience...
> >
> > They are finally getting around to licensing it under GPL, things are
> > finally stabilizing.
>
> Having everyone do things their own way is your idea of stabilizing?
> Who would it have hurt for either RH to make a system where Sun's
> packaging would drop in and run or for Sun to package it to match RH's
> arbitrary locations?  I never quite got the point of an RPM package that
> didn't work.
----
as you know, the typical methodology is to install finished software
packages in /opt

That is what most major software vendors will, as they do if you install
the rpms from openoffice.org

Obviously, Sun could do the same with java...but they don't

They install in /usr

Obviously Sun has to take responsibility for their install since the
package isn't provided by Fedora.

The integration bits (and there are many) are finessed because while Sun
has historically had a restrictive license, development went on with GCJ
version of java and now everything is wired in, from Tomcat to Docbook
to OpenOffice to Eclipse...it all works without Sun's java.

I applaud the development efforts that try to allow interchangeability
so that Sun's version can be installed and the notion that it should
just work is laudable...and it probably will be realized soon. Fedora is
community driven and unless someone steps up and works it all out, it's
left to Red Hat people who are probably are tasked with higher
priorities than making Sun software work.

Craig