Re: Installing from the 3 DVD fedora 8 "Everything" re-spin

rday wrote:
: On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Dean S. Messing wrote:
:
: > I just completed the download of the jigdo "Everything" DVD respin for x86_64.
: >
: > FYI, I used the CLI command
: >
: > jigdo-lite http://jigdo.fedoraunity.org/templates/Fedora-8-Everything/Fedora-8-Everything.jigdo
: >
: > I didn't have the original F8 so I let it download everything (no
: > pun intended).  It took about 12 hours running three parallel
: > jigdo's, one for each of the 3 DVDs in the respin.
:
: without the original (baseline) DVDs, you kind of lose the benefit of
: jigdo since you'll end up downloading every single RPM and
: reconstructing the DVD ISO on your end.  in that case, you're probably
: better off just using bittorrent.

Correct, except that jigdo-lite (using wget) runs scads faster (for
me) than bittorent.  Three 4GB DVDs were downloaded in under 20 hours,
and that wd. have been _much_ faster except that several of the
packages came from a mirror called "nuvio" which never gave rates
better than about 20Kb/s.  For several other mirrors I was seeing d/l
rates above 2Mb/s.  And one machine refused to authenticate so wget
would go into its 20 cycle "retry" loop with 10 or 15 seconds for each
cycle, each time packages were slated to come from that machine.

I was able to shorten the latter problem considerably by adding

adding "--tries=3"

to this line:

wgetOpts='--passive-ftp --dot-style=mega --continue --timeout=30'

in the ~/.jigdo-lite configuration file.  If I knew how to exclude
"nuvio" from being used, the download would have completed in under 10
hours, I think.

But it was all for naught. As I said in a later post,
the "Everything" .jigdo is not a re-spin. It's the original
F8 stuff from November.  Learning experience.

Dean