Re: Where do you put all your HTML stuff on a home Linux server?

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 17:36 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 12:08:28PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > > .... and how does that help?  It just adds yet *another* possibility!
> > >
> > > It makes it easy to keep separate and to back it up I suppose but
> > > doesn't address the ease of editing or permissions issues.
> > >
> > > Is it what /srv is intended for?
> >
> > yup.
> >
> > http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM
> >
> Yes, I just found my way there too and /srv does seem to be the 'most
> correct' place for web pages and other related things.  It does seem
> that it's far from a well defined standard yet though which would
> account for the many different directories used by different
> distributions.

For example, there was a long thread recently in fedora-devel-list on
whether distributions could impose any structure at all on the contents
of /srv.  I don't recall if any firm conclusions were reached, but for
now, I don't think you'll see RPMs (from Fedora, anyway) making any use
of it.

My take would be that if I'm doing a fresh install on an existing
machine, I should be able to blow away the contents of /var without
worrying that I'm destroying user data.  So things
like /var/www, /var/cvs, /var/spool/mail, /var/spool/mqueue, /var/lib/<databases>, etc., should really be in /srv.  But there are definitely different views on this.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu