Re: Jigdo (was Re: Installing from the 3 DVD fedora 8 "Everything" re-spin

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:23:12 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Beartooth wrote:
>
> ... snip ...

>> I trust you experts therefore predict that, if I burn it aright, it
>> will boot.
>
>   i have, in fact, installed the respin on one of my laptops, so
> that's a data point.
>
>> So what will it install?? Alas! How do I tell?? I don't have a machine
>> running anything but F8 updated -- the hard way -- any more ....
>
>   this is a bit annoying -- if you boot from that respin, there
> appears to be no indication that this is not the original F8 release.
> would it be that difficult to perhaps change the boot screen to say
> something like that, just as a brief verification?

	I burned one DVD from it, using brasero, and asked it to confirm;
it said it found errors. So I tried to boot one machine from it, anyway;
it did boot, and launched anaconda, looking normal; I told it to do the
media check; it also found errors -- and warned me against installing.

	I'm assuming the problem was either something wrong with the DVD
(an old RW that I tried to re-use), or possibly with Brasero. I'll try
again, with a new DVD.

	Meanwhile, I've thought of two ways to check *what* it installs.

	The quick way, with a little bit of luck, is that one of the nice
Fedora-Unity people here may tell us two or three of all those rpms to
look at, ones added in most recently, and what versions they should be.

	The slow way will be to leave one machine un-updated for a week
or so, then try a good DVD in it, and see if it'll upgrade -- unconnected
to the Net. If it does, it's a respin, right? If so, perhaps we may
presume that the "20071218" in its name is the date of respinning?

>> 	Wait a minute; wait a minute! Jigdo now says (after a blank line
>> below the passage about interrupting) :
>>
>> OK: Checksums match, image is good!
>
> that means it worked.

[...]
>> 	Do I really have to get and use *three* *DVDs* just to install F8
>> now, instead of the one I used before?? Someone here seems to think so.
>
>   no, i just did the one (image 13).  all jigdo-lite is asking you is
> if you want to do yet *another* image.  i think.  once i got that
> "Checksums match, image is good" message, i just killed jigdo-lite.

	OK, I'm off to see the Wizard -- no, scratch that : off to see
what a new DVD will do, with brasero, k3b, or nautilus. Stay tuned; maybe
it'll tell something before Anaconda goes all the way ....

Fedora 8; Alpine 0.99999, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.24, Firefox 2.0