Re: Volume discrepancy between tvtime and other apps

On Tuesday 25 December 2007, Vicki Stanfield wrote:
>Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Vicki Stanfield wrote:
>>> I am trying to understand why tvtime volume, adjusted to 100% with the
>>> right arrow, is still quite low when compared to playing a video off a
>>> web site in firefox or from a DVD with mplayer. Does anyone have any
>>> idea why there would be such a disparity? I have looked at the tvtime
>>> man page but don't see a setting to increase the volume other than the
>>> right and left arrows. I am using Fedora 7 (tvtime--1.0.1-6).
>>>
>>> Vicki
>>
>> Check to see what control it is changing. One easy way to tell is to
>> open up the mixer at the same time, and watch what control changes
>> when you adjust the volume. There is probably an option in tvtime to
>> select what control is used.
>>
>> Mikkel
>
>It is the line in. But I don't see an option to fix it. I think it might
>be that this tvcard is not going to output enough volume. I wouldn't
>mind so much, but it is quite jarring when I get an IM or have some
>other thing with normal volume kick off. That makes me wonder. Does
>anyone have a decent tv card that sends sufficient volume?
>
>Vicki

Move it to the mic in if that's not otherwise occupied Vicki, that's the std
cure.  And enable the extra 20db gain on that channel too.  If that's not
available, then an off board preamp could be used but I'd hate that bit of
gingerbread myself. YMMV of course.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)