Volume discrepancy between tvtime and other apps

I am trying to understand why tvtime volume, adjusted to 100% with the right arrow, is still quite low when compared to playing a video off a web site in firefox or from a DVD with mplayer. Does anyone have any idea why there would be such a disparity? I have looked at the tvtime man page but don't see a setting to increase the volume other than the right and left arrows. I am using Fedora 7 (tvtime--1.0.1-6).

Vicki