Re: Fedora 8 and WD Passport?

On Sunday 23 December 2007, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 19:47 -0800, Serguei Miridonov wrote:
> > Second, with current F7 hal/udev configuration, the drive does
> > not stop after unmount with clicking "Safely remove" in KDE. If
> > you just disconnect it the drive does emergency heads parking
> > which is not always safe. To prevent this, I used sdparm to stop
> > spinning the drive. Check message
>
> I've yet to come across a drive that does shutdown through software
> control.  All I've seen them do is dismount, and sit there idly
> spinning.
>
> That hasn't been a problem for me, since the external hard drives
> I've played with have a power switch and an external supply.  So
> I've just turned them off.
>
> The only hard drives I've seen parked is when you shut down Linux,
> and it stops the drives shortly before the computer powers down.
> Other OSs don't bother to do that.  They just flush the drive, and
> turn everything off when the power supply goes off.

"WD Passport" does not have external power supply and it does not have
power switch, so it relies on OS to turn spinning off.

In Windows XP the same drive turns spinning off when user
clicks "Safely remove hardware" for this disk. As I wrote in other
post, I finally got the same behavior with my scripts and modifying
hal rules. However, with the way how HAL is written it looks weird.
Just see my previous post in this thread. I still hope that somebody
can offer better solution.

Serguei.