Re: Fedora 8 and WD Passport?

On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 19:47 -0800, Serguei Miridonov wrote:
> Second, with current F7 hal/udev configuration, the drive does not
> stop after unmount with clicking "Safely remove" in KDE. If you just
> disconnect it the drive does emergency heads parking which is not
> always safe. To prevent this, I used sdparm to stop spinning the
> drive. Check message

I've yet to come across a drive that does shutdown through software
control.  All I've seen them do is dismount, and sit there idly
spinning.

That hasn't been a problem for me, since the external hard drives I've
played with have a power switch and an external supply.  So I've just
turned them off.

The only hard drives I've seen parked is when you shut down Linux, and
it stops the drives shortly before the computer powers down.  Other OSs
don't bother to do that.  They just flush the drive, and turn everything
off when the power supply goes off.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.