Re: Fedora 8 and WD Passport?

On Saturday 22 December 2007, offset wrote:
> Anyone using a WD Passport hard drive with Fedora 8?  Any issues.
>
> Thinking of buying one to use with a laptop.

I use it with Fedora 7. From user's point it is almost the same as USB
flash drive, just much more space. However, there are two things
which must be taken into account.

First, the drive does not have its own power supply and draws (when
starting) about 650 mA from the USB port. That may prevent it from
working on some notebooks if they allow only 500 mA current, as
guaranteed by USB standard.

Second, with current F7 hal/udev configuration, the drive does not
stop after unmount with clicking "Safely remove" in KDE. If you just
disconnect it the drive does emergency heads parking which is not
always safe. To prevent this, I used sdparm to stop spinning the
drive. Check message

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-December/msg01922.html

in this list for more info about this. Unfortunately, nobody replied
to my question, so I tried to solve the problem myself. Check the
script attached to this message and run it as root:

sh wd-passport-solution install

This will remove normal unmount procedure from HAL rules and replace
it with a script which unmounts the drive and in 10 seconds stops it,
so you can safely disconnect it from USB port. Remember, you will
also need to install sdparm package to make this stuff working.

If you don't like this HAL modification, just run

sh wd-passport-solution clean

I can not guarantee that this will work in Fedora 8 or with any future
update. The problem is with HAL, its specification and methods how
rules are added and removed. But this is another story...

Serguei.